Movement is an important component of health and wellness, and research shows regular physical activity is linked to sleep. Yoga is one such movement.
Yoga is a physical, mental, and spiritual practice that has been linked to weight management (Lauche et al, 2016) and management of chronic illness like diabetes and cardiovascular diseases (Kumar et al., 2016).
Yoga includes spiritual elements, like breath work, and is sometimes referred to as a moving meditation. Research shows that moving meditations like yoga and tai chi, offer benefits for health but also for sleep (Wang et al., 2015).
Rebecca's Yoga Schedule
Rebecca is a Certified Yoga Teacher (CYT) and teaches several classes each week for Equinox Fitness Clubs NYC. Rebecca's regular class times in New York City are as follows:
- Sunday mornings Hot Vinyasa
9:30 to 10:30am
11:00 to 12:00pm
Location: 41st Street & 6th Avenue
- Tuesday evenings Hot Vinyasa
7:30pm to 8:30pm
Location: 53rd Street & Madison Avenue
Please visit www.Equinox.com for more information.
Research on Yoga
1. Kumar, V. et al. Role of yoga for patients with type II diabetes mellitus: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Complement Ther Med 25, 104–112 (2016).
2. Lauche, R., Langhorst, J., Lee, M. S., Dobos, G. & Cramer, H. A systematic review and meta-analysis on the effects of yoga on weight-related outcomes. Prev Med (2016). doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.2016.03.013
3. Wang, F. et al. The effect of meditative movement on sleep quality: A systematic review. Sleep Med Rev 30, 43–52 (2015).